Thursday, May 14, 2009

Timo on Stage, looking skinny, but powerful


I'm in LA this week attending a concert of the LA Philharmonics Green Umbrella Series and then sticking around for an Apress editorial gathering in Pasadena. I find that we have many friends here, friends and relatives I've known and loved for a long time and don't see nearly enough. Many of them came to Disney Hall on Tuesday night to hear Timo perform and be performed. They've all known Timo since he was born.

Rather than talk about the recital, here are a couple of articles about it from the LA Times. First, a profile of Timo that appeared before the concert.

Timothy Andres is enjoying his moment in the L.A. sun

And after the concert, this review:

John Adams conducts young composer-performers at Disney Hall

I was asked before the concert began if I got nervous when Timo performed. "I used to, but I don't anymore." I took my seat, row three, front and center, the lights dimmed, Timo bounced out on stage, and the applause hit me. I was nervous. I got hot and damp and needed to roll up my sleeves. Timo was wearing his new black silk Nehru shirt he'd bought for the occasion, and he looked very tall, skinny, and all of the females reported that he also looked extremely attractive. He sat, pushed his hair back with an artistic swipe (there's a lot of it just now), thought a moment, looked a bit nervous to me, but he got right down to work.

He played a piece he'd practiced in the living room at home. It's one I know well and particularly enjoy hearing. The sound seemed to fly away in the big hall and I felt how lonely it must feel on stage. I was still nervous, but now Timo was in control; up close to the keys, barely touching them, then BANG with a big motion. He's exciting to watch. He and the piece begin to feel like one thing. He is the master of the instrument and, like a flying carpet, it takes him wherever he desires. The piece is full of inside jokes, references to music Timo has played in his life, and I smile each time I hear them. I'm happy, and moved, and it's hard to believe that he can do these things.

No comments: